The history of Wilson begins in the early days of the Victoria Park Gospel Hall, where the Sunday School became very large and at Anniversary and Prize-Giving time, the Hall was so packed that it was eventually decided to rent the Victoria Park Town Hall for these occasions. Whilst there was a certain amount of competition to see who could put on the best programme, the Gospel was faithfully proclaimed in many interesting and novel ways.
Mr & Mrs R. Annett-Stuart
Mr & Mrs J. Bain
Mr & Mrs A. Staer
Mr & Mrs E. Trotter
Mr & Mrs S. Vessey
An outreach was commenced in the Wilson area as a result of the large numbers of children being brought to the Sunday School from that area. In 1958-59, as a result of these increased attendances, brethren from Victoria Park, led by Mr Alf Staer, were led to commence a Sunday School in the Bentley-Wilson are. This work commenced at the Bentley Primary School under the superintendency of Mr Staer, and with transport provided by a brother, and active recruitment in the area rapidly increased Sunday School attendance to over a hundred children, plus fifty in the Kindergarten.
With growth, the desire to establish a new Assembly work became more urgent, and consequently land was purchased at the corner of Bungaree and Andrews Roads, Wilson. Foundations for a Chapel were laid in June 1960, and the building completed in November 1960, with the first meetings on Sunday, 6th of that month. At the official opening, tribute was paid to the untiring efforts of Mr Staer, the work of Sunday School teachers and particularly to the brother who provided the bus transport.
2010 marked the 50th anniversary of Wilson Gospel Chapel. A well-attended reunion was held to mark this significant occasion.